Charles has written for The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and USA Today and is the author of six previous books: A Nation of Victims, Dumbing Down Our Kids, Profscam, The Hollow Men, The End of Privacy, and 50 Rules Kids Won’t Learn in School.
Below is a sampling of a list from Charles, providing perfect advice for teens – in the book there are in fact 50 rules…
The original list of 50 is actually a list of chapter headings for 50 Rules Kids Won’t Learn in School…
| 1. Life is not fair. Get used to it.|
2. The real world won’t care as much as your school does about your self-esteem. It’ll expect you to accomplish something before you feel good about yourself.
3. Sorry, you won’t make sixty thousand dollars a year right out of high school and you won’t be a vice president or have a company car. You may even have to wear a uniform that doesn’t have a designer label.
4. You are not entitled…
5. No matter what your daddy says, you are not a princess…
6. No, you cannot be everything you dream…
7. If you think your teacher is tough, wait until you get a boss. He doesn’t have tenure, so he tends to be a bit edgier. When you screw up, he’s not going to ask you how you FEEL about it.
8. Your navel is not that interesting. Don’t spend your life gazing at it.
9. Your school may have done away with winners and losers. Life hasn’t.
| 10. Life is actually more like dodgeball than your gym teacher thinks.|
11. After you graduate, you won’t be competing against rivals who were raised to be wimps on the playground.
12. Humiliation is a part of life. Deal with it.
13. You’re not going to the NBA, so hold off on the bling and spare us the attitude.
14. Looking like a slut does not empower you.
15. Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping. They called it opportunity.
16. Your parents and your little brother are not as embarrassing as you think. What’s embarrassing is ingratitude, rudeness, and sulkiness.
17. Your parents weren’t as boring before as they are now. They got that way paying your bills, driving you around, saving for your education, cleaning up your room and listening to you tell them how idealistic you are.
18. Life is not divided into semesters and you don’t get summer off.
More rules to follow…
At 50 Rules Kids Won’t Learn in School there is a feature which allows for you to look inside the book, where you’ll be able to read the remaining 32 rules.
Another couple of my favorites include…
23. Someday you will have to grow up and actually move out of your parents’ house.
39. People in black-and-white movies were in color in real life. And no, the world did not begin when you were born.
41. You are not the first and you are not the only one who has gone through what you are going through.
45. Grown-ups forget how scary it is to be your age. Just remember: this too shall pass.